“What should we wear for our family photos?” I get this question with nearly every session I book. Well here I am to save you some shopping time and stress! Not only does your session prep guide have loads of tips on picking outfits for your spring or summer family photo session, but I also took some time to collect a bunch of links and put together some outfit combos.
Below each collage, you’ll find links to all the items in the images. At the very end of the post, you’ll find a list of my favorite online shops for the whole family.
A Few Tips For Picking Outfits for Your Spring and Summer Family Photo Session
- Keep in mind the location we’ve chosen for your photos.
- Make sure you’ll be able to move around easily and get down on the ground with your littles.
- Light earth tones and neutrals like ivory/ beige/ brown always photograph beautifully.
- Avoid being super matchy (no kids in identical outfits, no ‘everyone in white tees and jeans’)
- Texture and soft patterns are your friend. They will help bring interest to your outfits without being distracting or overpowering.
Use these as inspiration, or even order the exact items listed! Some of these brands run on the pricier side so if they aren’t in your budget, remember you can always search for them secondhand on sites like Poshmark! And don’t forget, I also have a Client Closet full of baby and kids clothes up to size 5/6, so you can borrow similar items for free without having to do any shopping for your littles!
Below are some tried and true brands (most of which have been featured in one or more of the above outfits) that you can shop at. Don’t leave your outfit planning until the last minute, because some of the best shops ship from overseas and can take a week or more for shipping. All shops below are clickable!
Best Shops for Babies and Kids Photo Outfits
- Smallable – lots of brands on this site, some favorites are Konges Slojd, Numero 74, 1+ in the Family, Illoura the Label
- Rylee & Cru
- Go Gently Nation
- Play Up
- The Simple Folk
Best Shops for Men’s Outfits
Best Shops for Women’s Outfits
I am always around to help and share ideas if you need more specific help on what to wear for family photos this spring and summer! I’m happy to give insight on what will photograph best for your family (contact me here). Good luck outfit planning!